This website uses cookies. To learn more about refusing the use of cookies , click here.

History of the "Goldene Kreuz"

The history of the Goldene Kreuz dates back to 1815.

When Franz Xaver had built on Augustaplatz, at that time the centre of Baden-Baden, a two-storey guest house and called it the "Goldene Kreuz”. The hotel and restaurant industry flourished from the beginning, due to the central location and the possibility of parking horse and carriages and not least the good home-style cooking, patrons came from near and far.

In 1980 Franz Xaver Mayer's grandson sold the Goldene Kreuz to Emil Thiergärtner. He had different plans with his architects Leonhard Treusch and Wilhelm Vittali. They had the entire property pulled down. Within just one year from 1892 and 1893 the stately complex emerged in the style of the founding year with richly adorned facades, balconies, two outbuildings and a wonderful inner courtyard with the so-called rear building. The Russian princess Tatiana Gagarin did the rest and financed the construction with one and a half million Marks. Probably, it is down to her generosity that the Goldene Kreuz could emerge in its resplendence and is today one of the most beautiful and stately business and apartment buildings in Baden-Baden.

During the second World War the Goldene Kreuz experienced its worst time. Business was bad, the complex was noticeably run-down. In 1968 20 million Marks were invested in renovating the facades and the interior. In the lovely inner courtyard the property is bordered by a brick wall. Today on its walls one can still admire the large figures of the Karlsruhe painter Benno Huth, which symbolise the four seasons. In front of this, under a glass roof structure, where the rear building used to stand, since 2002 there has been Le Jardin de France of Sophie und Stéphan Bernhard. With their gourmet restaurant they continue the almost two hundred year old tradition of welcoming guests in the Goldene Kreuz following all the rules of culinary art.

The Goldene Kreuz is now privately owned by a family from the Baden region.